~Nothing is harder than striving to stay alive.

Friday, July 31, 2015

Day 70: Redding to Orland, OR

Date: 7/30/2015
Time: 9.10pm
Weather: Burning hot
Location: First Lutheran Church

Today was supposed to be one of the best days cause I had a group who has the same aim as me-to enjoy every moment we've left despite the burning hot temperature-44°C. It wasn't that bad with the wind actually.

I woke up and packed my stuffs quick cause I can't find my stuffs last night and I want to find it again in the morning. I looked through everywhere but I still can't find it. I have my medicine, medical bill, bandages, a bunch of souvenirs from Crater Lake, and my phone charger in it. It's so weird-I have a smaller bag of food in that bag, and I could find the food bag but not the outer grocery bag with all those stuffs in it. I'm just so upset and have been bothered by this the entire day.

Today's our I4k Christmas. We did the secret santa draws few days back and knew who should we give our presents to. The rule to this celebration is to pick up anything you see on the side of the road. Tonight after dinner we unwrapped the presents and did short presentation on the gifts we picked. It surprised me much of how many things we are able to find on the side of the road. There were tshirt, plants, and a bunch of road signs and license plates. I have Carrie-so I was gonna give her a "Do Not Cross" sign I found at the rest stop. However Lauraleigh saw it and told me not to do it. -_- then I saw a cute "10 mph" speed limit sign-but I couldn't get it off using my multitool. Gel said I was the worst thief ever cause I don't even care when the cars passed (and might see me trying to steal things). Gel saw a horseshoe for me and I was gonna give it to Carrie. But since I lost all of my souvenir, I'm gonna bring this horseshoe back to Malaysia. Then I got a quarter of a CD for Carrie. I actually felt bad cause i think this is the worst present ever as compared to everyone else's. Sorry Carrie. :/

To sum up today's ride, Gel, Emmy and I were all pretty much like taking our own sweet time. Sam was getting a little impatient towards the end. We stopped at the Human Bean, took forever at the rest stops, then stopped at Shell gas station, and finally stopped at a yard sale before we got to the stayover. Gel had been so excited about Christmas! She told us about her Christmas stories and has been singing Christmas songs all day. I used to rush too-I felt good getting to the stayover early, but now as this ride is ending soon, I just want to spend as much time as possible and actually enjoy the ride. Sagging in the van made me realize how grateful I am to be able to bike again. The heat sucks, yes, especially it burns my scabs and my knee hurts way more when it's hot. To me, none of those things matters as long as I can pedal. Same as eating, I mean a lot people on the team have known about how much I like to eat. I never really appreciate simple thing like this before until I had a sore throat and can't swallow anything, and then I got into accident and I can't eat for 4 days. I have gotten so much better now-I can eat almost everything, as long as I dont bite with my three front teeth. Food like apples, nuts, and granola bar are not really suitable for me. I have to break my food into smaller pieces to eat.

The worst part of the ride today was the smoke from forest fire and the 1.5 miles of gravel road. Other than that everything has been pretty fun!

I just hope that my stuffs will miraculously appear somewhere...



















No comments:

Post a Comment