~Nothing is harder than striving to stay alive.

Thursday, July 9, 2015

Day 49: Duchesne to Heber City, UT

Date: 7/9/2015
Time: 6.17pm
Weather: Sunny, chilly, thunderstorms, rainy
Location: Mountain View church

Today was just another day full of insane adventures. It was one of those that you feel you've lived through a dream, and glad that you're still alive now.

We camped last night, and my cough is giving me a lot of trouble getting a good rest at night. But it's cooler than the first camp day, cause we have a bigger tent this time. Well everyone is making fun of my moaning sound lol my throat hurts so bad that I think I made that fucking weird noise when I sleep.

It took longer than usual to do van packing. The tents have to go down first before the backpacks and sleeping bags can be packed. Then we had cereal and milk for breakfast. The morning view in the state park makes me so happyyyyy!





In less than 10 miles after we rolled out, we've done so many climbs. Then we had to go on a gravel road cause part of Hwy 40 was under construction. We had to walk our bike through part of it though. 


Utah is beautiful but it's just too deserted. There was no shelter at all in between the designated stops. The first stop was at mile 26 at a gas station. The gas station sells pretty good hot food. I bought chicken tender and honey there.

We continued with our journey after taking a long break. 10 miles out, at about mile 38, we were finally done with the major climbs of the day. We took a short break at the top of the hill. As we continued, we realized that we were riding into the storms. We stopped at the side of the road, and saw a house in between the farms. We decided to bike up another small hill to go to the campground nearby for shelter. At the entrance to the campground, we stopped one guy to ask how far it is to the shelter, 3 to 4 miles, he replied. We knew that we were not gonna be able to make it that far. Lizzie, Halko, Corinne, and Burkhardt went to call the van. Atm, I wanted to replace my phone battery with the charged one. 3 minutes after they went to call, all I heard was Lizzie yelling, " Jane, run!", while Halko and Corinne had already hopped on their bike and went downhill. We went al the way back to the house we saw earlier, sprinted at 22-24mph on a road that we'd normally go only 15mph. As soon as we reached, Lizzie told me that they saw a funnel cloud. #oops I didn't see that. Funnel cloud is a column of air rotating. If it rotates quicker and touches the ground, it'll become a tornado. There was no one in the house, and we couldn't get shelter somewhere else. We also couldn't get Sarah V to get the van here. So we tried calling Tony, but he told us to bike all the way back to the gas station earlier, which was 10 miles away for shelter. HMMMMMMMMM. 1000ft of climbing? NOPE WE'RE NOT GOING BACK. 

Eventually the van came pick us up and dropped us off at Strawberry State park visitor center since all but two of the groups were there. The visitor center closed at 3pm, so we were shuttled to a convenient store / hotel lobby after 3pm. We waited till 5pm for the storm to pass. We were all cold and tired at the hotel lobby. When the van was back and ready to pick up more people to the stayover, almost all of us decided not to do the final 20 miles and just want to ride in the van. 

When Corinne asked me if I was gonna bike, I was like hmmmm not sure I kinda want to bike since it's just gonna be all downhill. Then we made Sarah biked with us too. The downhill wasn't that scary though. Without pedaling at all, it kept us going at 15-20mph, a great way to relax and enjoy the mountain view. We finally reached the church at 6.15pm. Heard that some groups got hails on them too. 

When people talk about how hot Utah gonna be, all we got was downpours and storms. Idk why. It's always chilly here. 

We're headed to Salt Lake City tomorrow and there'll be a rest day the day after! #muchneededrest 








Ps: Thanks to all who has been taking care of me! Thanks Mama Haley for getting me cough medicine and thanks Khrystyna for making me hot tea. Thanks to Halko,Corinne, and Lizzie for making sure I don't die while riding. Here's a pic of Khrystyna handling me the cup of tea she made. #muchlove 


No comments:

Post a Comment