~Nothing is harder than striving to stay alive.

Friday, July 24, 2015

Day 62&63: John Day to Paulina to Bend, OR

Date: 6/22/2015 & 6/23/2015
Time: 11.28 pm

Something happened to me. I was gonna say it's bad but I'd phrase it into blessing in disguise. Yesterday was a hard day. There was a 25 mile climb and all. However I did not go through all of those cause something happened to me.

17 miles out, I went off the shoulder of the road and crashed. I was bleeding a lot on my mouth and my left knee. I was a little scared but I tried to remaim calm. Corinne and Khrystyna called the van but Virgo did not answer her phone. She had no service. We waited for about an hour for the van to pick me up. I went from not feeling any pain to terrible swelling on my mouth. I couldn't talk cause my saliva kept flowing out of my mouth. I typed out every single thing I wanted to say and had Gel read it out for me.

At one point I was crying and everyone thought that I was in much pain. The reason I cried was cause I will not be able to ride-at least for a few days with my teammates. Sarah and Corinne have been riding with me since Denver. We always ride together until the point that it felt weird if we don't ride together.

When Virgo picked me up and rushed me to the hospital, we were going so fast and met the traffic that was coming from the other direction. There was a construction so one lane was closed. We told the construction worker we had to rush to the hospital but the guy didn't quite believe. I poked me head out and showed him my mouth that was bleeding terribly, and he immediately asked the tractors to move away.

We went all the way back to John Day to Blue Mountain Hospital. Gel pushed me around in a wheelchair cause my left knee hurts too much to walk. I went to the register and nurse told me to go to the ER. I was very worried about the bill cause I know it's gonna be expensive to go to ER. Thankfully they checked my insurance eligibility for me and got the insurance to cover everything. I was rushed to the ER and got xray scan on my knee. I was so worried that I'd break my jaw. Thank god I didn't break any bone. Everything was fine. The nurse cleaned up the wounds for me-I thought my face was gonna hurt more. I didn't cry though when she cleaned my face. When she gets to the knee, I was screaming in pain cause it hurts sooooo much. I started crying too. Thanks to Gel for staying with me the entire time. <3 We also just found out about the toilet bowl from the cabinet. It's so coooool!



After I got checked out and everything was okay, the nurse actually drove me to a dental clinic-Dr Michael Des Jardin's clinic. I broke 3 teeth, pretty badly, so I need to get them fixed. I spent about 3 hours in the dental clinic and actually fell asleep and started snoring while I had my teeth fixed. Hahaha. It was very comfy okayyyy.

We went to DQ for food after everything was done. I had an oreo blizzard and fries, while Gel ordered a kids' meal. Then we went to the drugstore to pick up some medicine. Ben came and picked us up at the drugstore, then we went back to the dental clinic for a portrait! The lady atthe reception counter had breast cancer before and she was willing to do a portrait with us.

After all of those, we went to Thriftway to get food for me. Gel had me use the motor cart. It's so weird getting the stares from everyone. A guy came up to us and told us that he saw us at Unity Lake. He wanted to say hi to us, but he was surprised to see me like this. I always love it when random people come up to us and told us that they saw us somewhere and super curious about what we're doing.

As I went back to the campground, everyone was already ready for dinner. When I walked to the tent, I saw that my sleeping bag and pillow were already set up nicely. Thanks Sarah, Corinne, and Khrystyna. :') I joined some of them for the fire and finally went to bed at 10pm.

I stayed in the van the entire day yesterday. The tylenol-codeine that was prescribed to me was so strong that it makes me feel drowsy and nauseous all the time. I should probably stop taking it already.

Thanks:
Gel for staying with me since the accident happened. I knew I could do everything by myself but your company makes me feel much better and less bored. I appreciate your time and effort to keep me companied at all time. You're probably the only person who had seen me crying like a baby. Haha. Love you Gel.

Sarah and Corinne-I think I've problem separating the good things that each of you does for me cause both of you always do things for me together. Thanks for checking on me all the time, making sure I get what I need. This ride will not be as fun without you both, you guys know it right. We three will be separated after this ride but hopefully we'll still stay in touch and spend time together. Come to Malaysia when you guys have time! I'll bring you guys for good foooooood! Promise! I'm just so glad that I met you guys through Illini 4000. You guys are the best! <3

Mama Hannah-You're one of my favorites too you should've already known about this. I like your laugh and how straightforward you are. #ihatefakefriends glad that I'll be able to spend my final year with you at the UofI. Thanks for buying me yogurt and ice cream, thanks for taking care of me all the time. Stay who you are cause you're AMAZING! <3

Mama Haley-Thanks for always checking on me, especially the times when we get super strong headwinds. Haha. Thanks for always asking if I'm alright, if I need anything. I love your snaps. Keep snapping me even when you go to Miami. DONT BE A STRANGER! <3

Hannah Burkhardt-we've been in touch these past few days. I hope things are getting better for you. It has been long since I last heard your voice. Sorry for the mean and angry "Why?????" I threw at you earlier. I really had to poop :/ get well soon girl, love you <3

There are so many more people I want to give shoutout to-Khrystyna, Lizzie, Baby Zack, Emmy, Ben... I'll write out when I feel better.

Thinking about how little time we've left upset me so much. 60 something days ago, 28 of us hopped on the train without knowing each other. It takes only 2 months for us to grow as a family. Now I don't want this ride to end, I don't want to say goodbye.

The thing that upset me the most was that I'll not be able to bike for these few days. Looking at the positive side, this accident makes my biking-across-the-country experience more interesting. I know my parents are super worried about me-but I'm fine, I just need some time to heal. Like I said, life is about experience and challenges. Without all these encounters, life is just as plain as a blank white sheet. I will recover soon, so don't worry too much! I'll be able to eat again soon! :)










No comments:

Post a Comment