~Nothing is harder than striving to stay alive.

Friday, July 3, 2015

Day 43: Denver to Idaho Springs, CO

Date: 7/3/2015
Time: 8.45pm
Weather: Nice, chilly as we reached the top of the mountain
Location: Someone's house in Idaho Springs

I've been so nervous about today, especially with the two rest days that we had, my mind and body weren't ready for this tough day. I didn't want to look at the elevation graph before the ride cause I know I will freak out.

The beginning of the ride was a bit of an elevation. The road looks flat but I can feel it. I was actually panting slightly. We went at 12mph on a "flat" road. We stopped at a gas station cause Sarah and Corinne had to use the bathroom. That was the time I started feeling the congestion in my nose and throat, along with some minor coughs.

I thought it was just sinusitis so I didn't give much thought about it. As we started climbing, I feel like I was breathing way heavier than everyone else. Again, I assume that it was normal since higher altitude has lower air pressure and lower oxygen level. The hardest part of the climb was between mile 27-40, which was exactly right  after our lunch rest stop. While we were about to leave the rest stop, Ben called Joe, and Joe was saying to us that this coming part is gonna be rougher and steeper, so the van will hangout with us along the way, just in case any of us need assistance.

My group started off with 5mph, then 4, then 3... We had to stop almost every 1.5-2 miles cause it's just so hard to breathe. It's not about not having strong quads anymore, it's the breathing. I don't know about the rest of us, but I know that I had so much trouble breathing, and had very terrible headache. I can hear my head pounding, as if the vessels are having a rock party.

I kept going with multiple stops. I did my best but at the same time did not push myself over my limit. I stopped when I needed to. The part at mile 38 was a little of downhill. It got us 0.7 mile in less than 2 minutes. And the last rest stop at the top of the mountain was at mile 39 ish.

I started crying when I saw the van. Then Sarah cried too. It's just... too hard and when we finally made it, it means so much to me. 13 miles of climbing with 3000ft+ of elevation, and finally hitting the top of the mountain at 11, 000 feet, that feeling is incredible and indescribable.

After mile 40, we had 12 miles of downhill. It was so scary I swear. I was pressing on my brakes all the time that I hurt my fingers. Yet, I was going at an average of 18mph-WITH BRAKES. Also, it was so chilly when we were going downhill. At one point I was just trying to loosen up my muscles on my palm and elbow, and a gust of wind hit me, I went off the shoulder and I swear to God I almost died. Corinne said I scared her so much.. sorry Corinne!! :/ I did not fall though, I went back on the road and continued biking.

Then we arrived at our stayover. It's a house, looked abandoned cause the family is in Costa Rica. It's kinda creepy actually. The abandoned house has dusts, dead mouse, flies, and some weird bugs. Also there were so many cards pasted on the wall, they were all drawn by kids. Idk it feels very creepy...... :/

I'm just gonna go to bed now. I was fine when the ride ended. Felt a little tired which is normal. But after I took a short nap right before dinner, I felt the headache is kicking in, terrible sore throat, minor coughs, congested nose, and feverish. Emmy gave me her meds (thanks Emmy!! ) and hope that by tmrw all these bad things will be gone. Thanks mama Hannah for the hugs. Thanks Lizzie for the gatorade. Thanks Diego for kept asking me to drink water and did my dishes for me. Thanks Ben and mama Haley for asking me what's wrong with me. With all the love that I'm receiving, I'm pretty sure I'll be good by tomorrow! #muchlove

I'm so glad that all of us made it through the ride today. We're definitely the strongest and most optimistic team ever! Good job everyone!!















No comments:

Post a Comment