~Nothing is harder than striving to stay alive.

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Day 61: Unity Lake to John Day, OR

Date: 6/21/2015
Time: 8.09pm
Weather: Super hot
Location: John Day campground

This morning we woke up to a very chilly weather. It was 6.15am when I opened my eyes and I saw Sarah and Khrystyna were still snuggling in their sleeping bag. So I continued sleeping. I was half awake actually-I heard Corinne asking what time is the wakeup.

As usual, camping days morning are always slow. We took our time to pack stuffs and take down the tent. As we had breakfast, we found out that Brian was the one having the Mosher card. Sooo he had to share us a story. His story was about a kid named Albert that he knew in high school. I don't really get his story-the main point was that the guy has very strong political opinions and the international kids didn't like him. The story ended with Albert adopted a named called Webson, aka the son of the Internet. Whatever.

The ride today wasn't bad at all. It was only 50 miles and there were more downhills than uphills. Well there were two major climbs that lasted for 7 miles and 6 miles respectively. Other than that it was all downhill. My max speed of going downhill was 32mph! The downhills today were nice cause we have wide shoulders to ride on, less traffic, and the road wasn't curvy at all.

I ws biking with Corinne, Sarah, Sean, and Zack. Ben wasn't riding this morning cause he had to settle some stuffs. At the rest stop, Zack asked if Ben would want to ride since everything was settled by then. We thought we were gonna split into two groups of three. But Ben said it's fine and so we had a 6-person group for the first time! Zack also taught me how to tighten and loosen my brakes cause they were too tight and rubbing against my rim before this.

We had only one rest stop then we all rolled in to the campground. And that was only 1.30pm I believe. We set up the tent and went about a mile out to get ice cream. Today was the first time I biked in normal shorts and flipflop. It felt so weird. We went to get Huckleberry ice cream at The Outpost Pizza, Pub,and Grill. It was only $1.50. Then we went for round 2 at DQ for 5 bucks meal-I got the 5 bucks chicken strips. We stayed at DQ till 5pm and went back to the campground when the heat died down a little. It was still hot though. Zzz

We got Subway again for dinner! Subway should totally have a partnership with Illini 4000 cause they have been donating so much food to us throughout the trip. We went for grocery shopping after dinner. The place we're going tomorrow will be deserted and we will not even be able to get water. So Carrie got us 30 gallons of water for stock. We literally took all of the available gallon bottles they have. Each gallon costs only 99 cents. I just learned something new today-if you get the 5-gallon bottle, there will be a deposit. So if you come back with an empty bottle, you'll be able to get back the deposit and refill it. But since we're not gonna be able to come back, we didn't get those big guys. We got 30 1-gallon ones.

I got chocolate milk, gatorade, and orange juice from the store. I wanted to get soda too but I think I've had too much of sugary drinks and I don't want to get diabetes. So I went for th healthier choices. Marissa commented on my huckleberry ice cream photo and told me to get huckleberry soda too. The first thing I went into the store was to get huckleberry soda but unfortunately they don't have it. So this will be my mission before I leave Oregon-to get a huckleberry soda! Fun story: Corinne and Sarah were so excited when they saw the Nerds candy. We three took a pic with the nerds candy in the grocery store! :)

Now I'm ready for bed. Tomorrow is gonna be a super hard day. We're doing an early wakeup too. Day two of the 3-day camping stretch-it's definitely not a good eye-deer to have a hard day of biking, Josh. Plus we're going to a deserted place without water. There are showers here but you gotta pay $4 to use them. It's too expensive for a shitty shower. Even YMCA's showers cost only $2.

We also found out about something weird. The trees here have water dripping from the trunks/branches. How does that happen? Does the water come from the tree? Okay someone tell me pls. I have no time to google stuffs.



No comments:

Post a Comment