~Nothing is harder than striving to stay alive.

Monday, July 6, 2015

Day 46: Steamboat Springs to Maybell, CO

Date: 7/6/2015
Time: 3.40pm 7/7/2015
Weather: Rainy in the morning, chilly.
Location: campground

This morning was an emotional one. We gathered around for briefing as usual, but today we were greeted by a letter from a 2006 rider of Texas 4000. I will share it when I have the exact copy of the letter. Basically what he said was it's going into day 40 something, crusing into the West coast is when the time that people start to have parties and stuffs. (I've heard that the team will come together close going into the West cause there are not many things here, and we will spend more time with each other.) But never go astray or get too caught up with the routine, always remember the main reason why we're doing this ride, who we're riding for.

I admit that I'm getting used to the routine. Well not now cause I'm sick. But since day 1, I've been making my body get used to sleeping at 10pm, and waking up at 6am every day (4.45am for long days). Hop on bike, pedal, and go all the way till the stayover. Days are hard but the people you ride for will always remind you that every hard days are doable.

The ride started with a foggy and chilly morning. It was a short ride with ton of downhills. So everyone was just taking his/her own sweet time. At about mile 45, when we arrived Craig, I went to the clinic to check out what was wrong with me. The Memorial Hospital Medical Clinic was one of the best. My insurance will normally not get approved. But the staffs still spend time calling the insurance company and I didn't have to pay for anything. I thought I was very ill. The nurse did a Strep test for me, but it turned out to be negative. There's also no white spot on my throat. The doctor said that I'm allergic to the dry weather here. (Apparently this kind of allergy exists). The main problem was the swelling of my throat.

After seeing the doctor, Sarah picked me up from the clinic and dropped me off at City Market for pharmacy. It took me close to an hour to get my meds. Then Sarah picked me up again and we went back to the rest stop. Surprisingly quite a few groups had not left yet. They were waiting on the food donation by Subway-thanks to Zack! We had a bunch of 6-inch and chips for dinner.

At the third rest stop, Angelica showed me her bb gun. And I was playing with it. Then Corinne was like, "Jane shoot me in my chamois!" Of course I wouldn't say no. I failed the first time and shot Corinne right in her shoulder blade. Then I wanted a take two and requested the process to be recorded. Angelica, Hannah, and Haley said I have to be cool in the video. So i ran to the van to get my shades and acted cool, then shot right into Corinne's chamois ! 100% accuracy! Hahahahhahahaha

Then we arrived at the campground. I thought it was gonna be like the campgrounds in state parks or national parks. It's just a campground beside a playground. Welppppp. I was sitting there waiting for Halko and Corinne to reach. As soon as they arrived, we set up our tent. Maybell wasn't as deserted as I thought it would be though. There was a Sinclair less than 5 minutes away from our campground.

We had Subway for dinner and showered at the campground. Then Diego came up with a team game. Random draw a) a person's name b) a weapon c) location. I got Corinne; book; tent. So I have to kill Corinne with a book in the tent-which was perfect cause we were in the same tent. Game starts in the morning.

We went to bed as soon as thunderstorm hit. It was windy and chilly on the outside but it was so hot in the tent that I was suffocating. I have Khrystyna, Corinne, and Halko in the same tent as me.









No comments:

Post a Comment