~Nothing is harder than striving to stay alive.

Saturday, June 20, 2015

Day 30: Rochester, MN to Lake Mills, IA

Date: 6/20/2015
Time: 10.30pm
Weather: Very Windy in the morning
Location: Winnebago Lutheran Church, Lake Mills, Iowa

Crossed Minnesota/Iowa border today!

It was a 95-mile day so all of us decided to wake up an hour earlier so we could get to the stayover earlier. However, when we were getting breakfast, Ben mentioned in groupme that there's lightning, so we had to delay our departure time till 8am. Everyone had a nap between 6am-8am.

The first 27 miles was the toughest part of the ride today cause the wind was too strong. I felt like I was almost being blown off the road and my handlebar kept swirling all the way. I got so exhausted trying to fight against the wind. Our first rest stop was at Casey's. I got a bottle of iced tea and a slice of bacon/cheese/egg pizza. I'm always hungry idk why. My teammates were shocked to hear that I spent about $10 per day on just snacks.. Tbh I don't eat just for fun, Im always hungry. If I don't eat when I feel hungry, I'll have very bad gastritis..

The rest of the day wasn't too bad. Windy but the speed we were going was okay. Andrew and Brian pulled most of the time, while I just stay at the back. Angelica and Alex sagged for the first time cause their knees hurt too much from biking against the wind. We were talking about people who have not sagged, it was me, Sarah Halko, and Shutian (not sure if I missed any girls). I really hope I don't have to ride in the van at all. That's my goal-and Sarah's too. I'd rather just go slow than having to ride in the van.

We were the first group to reach the church. This church is located with farms all around and a cemetry at the backyard. This is the first time we live in a place like this. They served super good meal for dinner just now-there were sloppy joe, chicken, potato with cheeese, salads, and a lot of food. They're providing us with breakfast too tomorrow morning! :D After dinner they prepared ice cream for us as desserts. I've craving for ice cream since last night but never had the chance to get one. Finally I got to have 7 scoops of ice cream with chocolate syrup just now! I'm so happy!!

I talked to this pastor on my way to shower, and he asked  me where do I come from. Amd when I said Malaysia, he said his son was in Malaysia but currently in Thailand. His son teaches English, math, amd science under one of the mission trips by this church.

Today is day 30. It marks the 30th day since I left Chicago Union Station. 40+ days till the end of this trip. Oh how time flies. Despite the rides being hard and all, it's definitely one of the best experiences I've had in my life. 2015 summer will be the best summer I'll have in my life. After this ride ends, I'll be travelling to more places in the States. I really enjoy this kind of life very much.


No comments:

Post a Comment