~Nothing is harder than striving to stay alive.

Sunday, June 14, 2015

Day 24: Chicago to McHenry, IL

Date: 6/14/2015
Time: 10.00pm
Weather: Heavy rain in the morning, sunny in the afternoon
Location: Tree of Life McHenry, IL

-late post-

Today was a rainy day. We met at UIC James Stukel dorm at 7am and had the van packed by 7.40am. Then everyone biked to Buckingham fountain. This morning was a mess. I reached the dorm at 6.15am and the security wouldn't open the door for me. I had to call Lizzie to come down to open the door for me. The security clearly saw me though from the front desk. zz I had to rush through to pack all of the stuffs that I already had and the stuffs that I got over the weekend. Thankfully I had KS there with me to help me with packing and bringing down stuffs. #thankful BTW I finally had a new phone charger yay!

As soon as we started biking to Buckingham fountain, KS got a Uber and he went  there to wait for me. And that was our final goodbye. :3 At 8am we left the Buckingham fountain and rode about 27 miles with the alumni and friends to the Turnbull Park at Glencoe. There was this beuatiful bike path called the Green Bay Trail that we biked on. Would definitely come and visit again if I have the chance! It was raining pretty heavily the entire way. :/

We had a picnic at the park. I was so happy the sun was up and the rain stopped by then! Almost everyone's parents were there except for international students'. The food was really good though-hotdogs, burgers, pierogi, chips, potato salads, pasta, desserts, and fruits. There were just sooooo much food but I couldn't eat much cause I knew it'd be hard for me to bike.




After meal we had the chance to walk around to talk to the alumni and one of the founders, Jonathan. He said he was studying or something in Singapore so he knows where Malaysia is. He also mentioned that this year's team is probably the most diverse team. Yay!

The remaining miles were not too bad. I just got really tired and hungry, as usual. If I remember correctly, we reached the stayover at like 4.30pm. The whole day was a 70-mile ride. As we all left the picnic, I felt like that was the real start of this ride. Since NYC, I have been biking on places that I'm familiar with, and had been always looking forward to the day we'll be back in Champaign and the rest day in Chicago. Now that we've passed those days, I felt like we're heading to somewhere that we don't quite know and it could be kind of a bigger challenge.

Ohhh forgot to mention! Yesterday's dinner was sooooooo good! It was like a 5-star buffet and I had so much food on my plate! They even served homemade ice cream, and walnut cakes as desserts! Funny how so many people ask why do I eat so much haha :P Also after dinner Joe invited all of us to his gf's house for bonfire. There were smores !! #somuchfood Then we went back at like 9.45pm and I passed out right then.





No comments:

Post a Comment