~Nothing is harder than striving to stay alive.

Monday, June 1, 2015

Day 11: Westfield, NY to Ashtabula, OH

Date: 6/1/2015
Time: 9.15pm
Weather: 8°C, chilly
Location: First Prebysterian Church Ashtabula

Bye NY! We have finally cruised out of NY after one week of biking in NY. This morning we woke up to a rainy and chilly morning. Ben decided that we could stay in a little longer just so that we don't have to start up our ride in such cold weather.

I had Hayley, Angelica, and Jack in my group today. We rolled out at 7.50am and finished at 4.00pm, getting 75 miles done. It's cold but with 3 layers of clothing, I managed to pull through the whole ride. I was actually sweating a lot but my fingers were frozen. I had Ben's gloves but they were so big that it was really hard for me to shift and grab my water bottle haha.

We crossed the NY border to Pennsylvania, then went on for another 30 miles before crossing the Ohio state line. Isn't it cool that we crossed three borders in one ride?! Hehe  with this it means that we're making our way west, settling in Ashtabula, OH tonight, and Cleveland tomorrow. The day after will be our first rest day! If only it's in Columbus, I'd have spent some time with Munish and whoever is in OSU.

Today was a chilly day. It was such a good weather for a nap. I got tired the entire ride and I fell asleep as soon as I got here. Someone woke me up for dinner, but I fell asleep again before finishing the spaghetti and lentils. Now here I am, ready for a real sleep ! :)

To those who got hurt throughout the journey, take care and get well soon. It is indeed a very tough journey, in the sense that it requires a lot of mental strength. Imagine having to pay attention to every single detail of the road-every holes, cars, sticks, water, gravel, rocks, etc, for about 10 hours every day. Hopefully everyone will be able to ride safe!

Ps: if you are wondering how we ride from places to places, we have these directions we call cues.


Current total mileage: 626 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment