~Nothing is harder than striving to stay alive.

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Day 27: Wisconsin Dells to La Crosse, WI

Date: 6/17/2015
Time: 9.55pm
Weather: Windy but not too bad, I'd say it's a good weather today
Location: First Prebysterian Church, WI

Last night we all heard about the 92-mile ride today. Ben looked into the weather forecast and found out that it was gonna rain at 2pm. So someone suggested that we start our ride earlier today since it's a long ride, and it's gonna be hilly. We were all up by 5am, and left Wisconsin Dells at 6.40am.

The first rest stop was at mile 25. The first part of the ride was kinda hard but it wasn't too bad cause it was still early, chilly, and not many cars on road. At the rest stop everyone mentioned that the second part (up to lunch rest stop) was gonna be the hardest part of today's ride. Everyone was freaking out about it. However when we went on the road for the next 10 miles, there was still no hill at all, it was all flat road. Emmy and I were like where the hills are at?? Haha! We stopped for restroom at the county market (YES WISCONSIN HAS COUNTY MARKET TOO) I went in and got 4 Belgian Coconut Macaroons. I was hungry okay? I always look for food. Those are really good macaroons and they're only 50 cents each!


Shortly before the lunch stop, we climbed a couple of hills. There was one that was super long and there was one that was super steep. The rest of them were not too bad. There were more downhills than uphills today. The bigger ones were the 10% and 6% declines. The fastest I had was a 35 mph today and slowest was 7mph. 

It's interesting to ride today because on our way, I believe we passed the Amish county. We actually saw two Amish girls on the horse and buggy on the road. The horse was so strong tho, it took me quite some time to actually get pass the horses. :3 Also when we rode pass the farms, the farmers used the horses to plow their farms in the most traditional way ever! 3 horses and one man for ploughing! There were also a lot of lazy cows that were just chilling on the field or under a tree, then there were sheep that mek mekkk back at me when I mek at them. It surely does seem like we were communicating haha! 



The lunch stop was at Wildcat fountain state park. Pretty nice place to camp cause they reserve spots for people to camp. 





Zack joined us for the 3rd part of our ride aka after lunch till 75-mile stop. At one point I was like Zack let's race up thr hill and we did, but that destroyed his knees so badly. At the mile 75 rest stop, I was feeling extremely hungry and all I was thinking about was ice cream. People who were there heard me saying, " I want an ice cream" repetitively haha 😂 I made a deal with Carrie and Emmy, if we see an ice cream shop before mile 85, we don't stop; if we see it after mile 85, we'll stop for ice cream. Then not long after, Joe texted in groupme saying tbat there is an ice cream ahop at mile 92. YAYYYYY!

We went by a closed road at about mile 83, walked through that to avoid flats, then it was a 1.5-mile extremely fun downhill. I hit 30mph with constant brakings. Then we got to an ice cream shop and I got myself two scoops of ice cream-Irish cream and butter pecan flavors, for $2.50 only. That definitely killed my cravings for ice cream!

Arrived the church at like 4.30pm and walked 5 mins to YMCA to have a shower. We had not have showers since Chicago, which was like 2 days ago.. @@ At 6pm the host came by and brought us to his riverside or lakeside house with a pool for barbecue. I had 3 cheeseburgers, 2 hotdogs, 1 carrot cake, 1 brownies, 1 chocolate chip cookies, and some fruits. This is the second time the host asked Ben for who I am cause they saw me eating so much! @@ I'm just always hungry, IDK WHAIIII. Some people went for hot tub, some went for kayaking, some went to the pool, and some (inckuding me) just sit and eat. 







After dinner I came back and replaced my brake pads (thanks to Emmy for giving me het brake pads!). In just 20 minutes, I had like 15 bites from the annoying mosquitoes. Ugh. 

Oh before I end this post, I want to mention that they have pretty cool names for the roads that we rode pass. There were dead end road, scenic road, opportunity road, and BINA road. Lol bina means build in Malay. It sounds like they want to build a road on that road? HAHHAHA :D 

Did 92.6 miles today from Wisconsin Dells to La Crosse. La Crosse sounds like a town with influence from French but I haven't had the chance to look into this yet. Tomorrow we're doing 83 miles, will be crossing Wisconsin/Minnesota border and will have a rest day after tomorrow's ride! It's amazing to see how we go day by day and the last rest day was the one we had in Chicago, which means we've left Chicago for 4 days. It felt like it was only yesterday that we biked to the Bean and had a picnic. #timeflies 

That's it for tonight. Ciao! 

No comments:

Post a Comment