~Nothing is harder than striving to stay alive.

Sunday, May 24, 2015

Day 3: First ride ! Manhattan to Beacon

Date: 5/24/2015
Time: 10.15pm
Weather: So damn hot, sunny
Location: Stayover at Beacon, NY (air-conditioned church)

We were all up by 5am (I wanted to be more relax so I was up by 4.20am). Had the van packed and breakfast (there was cereal, dried strawberries, and milk, YAY!), and were all out to the subway station by 6am. We took a subway to Damon Runyon to collect our bikes, headed to Battery Park and were ready to roll by 8am.

Personally, I think it was a hard ride today because we climbed like 9 hills (Or more) and we were going at 2mph at the steepest one. I actually fell cause I was going wayyyy too slow and I lost my balance. We ended up pushing our bikes uphill though.

The first rest stop was at mile 22; the second one was at mile 45. As usual we had PBJ (peanut butter and jelly) sandwiches for lunch. I had a super bad stomachache today and really wanted to poop. Lol. Everyone kept telling me to poop in the woods, but I didn't want to do that. Geli lor @@ I sprinted all the way to the stayover, going at about 14-19 mph so I could poop lol.

It wasn't too bad overall. The day felt so long. We reached our stayover at 7.30pm. It was a 11-hour ride. There were stops, flats, and stuffs, plus those crazy hills. Oh did I not mention how fast were we while going downhill? It was a good 30mph! Love love those speed!

Once we arrived at the stayover, we changed, unpack stuffs, and had dinner. The church was so kind that they donated 3 huge roasted chicken, cakes, breads, and salad to us. It was supposed to be just spaghetti and lentils :3 I even washed my hair in the sink so my hair smells super good now haha :D #seconddaywithnoshower

The thing I like about this ride is that no matter how exhausted we are, we always managed to pull through it. Waking up at 4.30am and biked for 11 hours? That's definitely not something everyone can do and is willing to do. Uphills downhills remind me of how life is always like that. Going through good and bad always make us a tougher person in a way. This is what you've to go through in life. If there's no uphill, no difficulties, there will be no downhills, and you'll not appreciate it when good times come. One last thing I like about this ride is that we're able to bike through beautiful places that you don't always see or go. I'm trying to make a video of it and will definitely try to combine and make a nice version ofthese amazing memories when the ride ends!

Everyone is already asleep and I should be sleeping too. I'm totally exhausted. Again, sorry that I can't post pictures in this blog cause I really need to sleep.
Follow me on instagram: @janelepooh this is where I upload photos from time to time throughout the day. Or just visit my facebook Jane Phang (sorry no link attached).

Good 73 miles for today! 90+ miles tomorrow! Hopefully there'll be fewer hills/mountains :3

Good nights lovelies!



No comments:

Post a Comment